Director – Operational Excellence – Western Africa (Mining Operations)
Another Lean and Six Sigma leadership job opportunity from the Avery Point Group - Lean Recruiter - Six Sigma Recruiter.
Confidential –International Mining Company
Director – Operational Excellence – Western Africa (Mining Operations)
Western Africa – Foreign Service (Ex Pat) Assignment on location
Regional Executive / Vice President Operations
Excellent Compensation – Base, Bonus, Options, Foreign Service and Hardship Allowances, Generous Vacation /Holiday Allowance
Relocation offered – Housing Subsidized – Living and Hardship Allowances
Special Notes for Candidates:
You must meet the minimum qualifications to be considered for this role:
- Must have at a minimum Lean Six Sigma Black Belt experience and certification, MBB preferred
- Must have at a minimum an on-site background in order of preference in either; mining, oil/gas, or construction leveraging Lean Six Sigma.
Our Client is a multi-billion dollar metals mining company with operations on 5 continents.
Position Description and Responsibilities:
This is a high visibility continuous improvement leadership role at one of our client’s flagship precious metals mining operations in Western Africa. This role reports directly to the Regional Executive / VP of Operations and will direct the entire site’s operational excellence initiatives with 4 Lean Six Sigma Black Belt direct reports. Viable candidates must have direct experience working onsite in the mining industry. This is an on-site foreign service (ex-pat) assignment in Western Africa and our client offers generous base, bonus, stock-options, foreign service and hardship allowances with on-site corporate housing/accommodations.
- This role will manage the entire regions budget and resources for the business’s continuous improvement initiatives.
- This role will be accountable driving the site’s Lean Six Sigma initiatives in order to attain regional quality and consistency objectives tied to business’s global targets.
- This role will assist the site’s functional managers by coordinating complex, high-visibility projects across multiple functions that deliver significant operational improvement and financial benefit with target benefits in excess of $2MM annually.
- This role will be accountable for the development of an annual strategic plan for the regional Operational Excellence program for review and approval by the regional & corporate leadership team.
- This role will coordinate and communicate functional and business unit Value Stream Mapping exercises as part of the business’s annual planning cycle in order to identify and develop new project opportunities.
- This role will work closely with the site’ regional management in order to develop strategy and sponsor the operational excellence initiatives, ensuring alignment of improvement initiatives with business vision and strategy.
- This role will role will be responsible for building the site’s Lean Six Sigma capabilities by training and coaching process owners, champions, and process improvement analysts.
- This role will help facilitate the global sharing of agreed best practices across the business mining sites on 5 continents.
- This role will coordinate with corporate and regional talent management to develop a rotation program that attracts and develops key talent and places them appropriately at the completion of each term
Position Critical to Quality + Success (CTQ+S): Technical Behavioral Requirements:
- 10+ years of management and continuous improvement experience preferably in the mining industry
- Preferred site level experience and background in precious metals surface mining and refining (Platinum, Gold, Silver and to lesser degree Copper). Consideration will also be given to candidates with backgrounds in other surface mining industries, oil/gas, and construction where Lean Six Sigma tools and methodologies have been applied by the candidate.
- 3+ year direct experience driving a Lean Six Sigma site level industry related deployment either as a Black Belt or Master Black Belt. Minimum Lean Six Sigma Black Belt Certification, Master Black Belt Certification.
- Knowledge and experience applying Theory of Constrains (TOC) and Value Stream Mapping (VSM) in conjunction with Lean Six Sigma initiatives is highly desired.
- Experience in applied statistics and statistical analytical tools / methods.
Position Critical to Quality + Success (CTQ+S): Skill/Ability Behavioral Requirements:
- Proven leadership, project management, problem-solving, and team development skills.
- Results based Leadership style skill set with strong impact and influencing skills
- Tenacity and energy in leading change towards an effective work environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively to direct and motivate team and others, maintaining a persuasive and credible presentation style at all levels of the organization.
- Strong analytical skills and process focus
- Progressive, flexible and “hands on” team oriented person required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation and facilitation skills.
- Strong project management skills and ability to manage multiple projects.
- Visionary with long term focus - able to see the end result.
- Ability to create an open environment supportive of free sharing of information and ideas that is also conducive to contribution, growth and achievement.
- Exemplary standards of integrity, personal work ethic and continuous involvement in self education and development.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
The content of this posting is protected by Copyright and is intended for use by current and potential candidates of The Avery Point Group for the sole purpose of pursuing an opportunity presented by The Avery Point Group. As subject matter experts in our recruiting disciplines, our job postings are a reflection of our deep understanding of job requirements, appropriate client content and extensive dialog with key client process stakeholders. As a result, reposting or use of this content is not authorized unless The Avery Point Group is referenced as its source.
The Avery Point Group, Inc.
Leveraging Lean & Six Sigma in Executive Search and Recruiting
The Avery Point Group provides functional expertise and executive search focus in the areas of Six Sigma, Lean, operational excellence, plant management, operations management, supply chain management, and finance. As executive recruiters our practice services a wide spectrum of industries, spanning manufacturing, distribution and service-based companies.
With our Lean Six Sigma approach, experience and global perspective, we stand out from other executive search firms and add significant value for our clients in their search for leadership talent. Unlike other recruiting firms, we truly speak the language of our clients and candidates.
Our Lean Sigma Approach: Search excellence starts with the sound foundation of a well defined and consistent search methodology. Our Lean Sigma Search™ process incorporates a unique Lean Six Sigma approach to filling our clients’ staffing needs. Each phase of our executive search value stream process is designed to eliminate waste in order to move the search and recruiting process along efficiently and effectively, thus enabling us to exceed our clients’ expectations and requirements.
Our Experience: With our team’s decades of operations experience, we are uniquely qualified to help our clients find, assess and recruit leadership talent. Our key principals have held senior-level director, VP and Lean Six Sigma positions in manufacturing, distribution and service-based Fortune 500 companies. Our principals are Six Sigma Master Black Belt and Lean trained by globally recognized industry leading companies and have real-world, practical experience in their application. As subject matter experts in the recruiting of Lean, Six Sigma and operations talent, our firm has been featured in leading industry trade magazines such as: Quality Progress, Quality Digest and IndustryWeek.
Our Global Perspective: Our key principals have managed global operations and led key initiatives in Eastern Europe, Western Europe, Latin America and throughout Asia. Our principals, with their global perspective, understand what it takes to find, assess and recruit talent for companies to succeed in today’s global economy.